How to configure Windows to get the best possible performance out of your PC
Change Power Option settings in Windows to High Performance
- Open the Windows "Power Plan" by right clicking on the battery icon in the dock, then click "Change plan settings", then click "Change advanced power settings" (or go here: Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings)
- By default Windows runs in a "Balanced" power plan, which puts idle cores to sleep, and that's a huge source of CPU spikes in any DAW.
- Then choose "High Performance". Always run in High Performance mode when using any DAW.
If the High Performance plan isn’t there, you need to create it. Follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Right-click on the battery icon in the taskbar and select Power Options.
- In the panel on the left-hand side of on the window, click on Create a power plan.
- Click on the checkbox next to High Performance.
- At the bottom of the window, give your new plan a name.
- When you’re ready, click on Next.
- The plan will now be reactivated.
Please also take a look at this article by our friends from Audient:
Optimising Windows Computers For Audio...